ODD TALES OF ALL THING MORAN

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dr. Mario and Last Battle

The Rockies are in the World Series and the Sox can't beat the fucking Indians. I think that speaks for itself, so onto better things.

Shippa and myself re-discovered Dr. Mario recently. Played almost all weekend, including a five hour block of it on Saturday. Its pretty much taken over Kevin's life. Brendan eventually got in on it, and although we aint that bad at it, Brendan's been tearing us apart. He's basically gone undefeated since Saturday. Fuck him. But, while not playing, Kevin's been dreaming about little colored pills and I've been playing Last Battle.....


Last Battle is a game I used to play when I was younger, probably around 7 or 8 years old. A friend of mine owned it, so I didn't play it too often, hence I didn't remember too much from it. I've been trying to track it down for the last couple of years, and the only thing I could remember from it was that the main character's shirt would mysticly tear away whenever he powered up and upon dying, he would fall to his knees. That being my only knowledge of the game, it basiclly rendered my search to the likes of Al Bundy looking for "his song". I really had no fucking clue what the name of the game was. Or even if I liked it or not. I had pretty given up on the search. Then Jiffy came into my life. He gave me a Dreamcast disc full of Sega Genesis games, and my search was reborn. After a few days of looking through various titles, I finally came across:And I wish I hadn't. Goddamnit this game sucks. Between the migraine inducing story and the horrendous gameplay, it's easily one of the worst gamesI have ever played. And its impossible to get through the first level. Yet, I play it every chance I get. Just to spite it I guess.

After a couple of weeks of putting myself through the torture of playing this game, I did a little research to find some cheats or anything that would get me through the first level. I found nothing helpful, but did come across some interesting facts.

Its a port of "Fist of the Northstar", which is a pretty awesome and popular anime and manga over in Japan and is a great candidate for a video game, but got lost in translation over here and became the peice of shit I've been obsessed with over the last month or two. Then I find out that they got rid of the blood, which at least made it a little interesting. And since the license for the franchise was never obtained, the story and names were changed, but thats no excuse for the dialogue that was written. All in all, the game is a piece of shit, with no redeeming value whatsoever, but for some god awful reason, I will keep playing it.

I'll leave you with some quality screenshots for your enjoyment:


In Japan their head would explode with every punch.
Here, not so much.



Rooms full of mysterious flying axes? Why not?


That's the only dialogue between the two of them. And its only the first of the game.


Even the box art sucked.

No comments:

Followers